It is an American airline, that was formed in 1925. It is one of the oldest airlines out there. They are based in Atlanta, Georgia.
They have numerous subsidiaries and they operate over 5,400 flights daily. They go to 325 destinations, in 52 countries on 6 continents. That are a lot of places to go and see.
They are one of the founding members of the Sky Team airline Alliance.
- Commenced Operations
- June 17, 1929
- Focus Cities
- Endeavor Air
- LATM Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Close to 90,000
It started as a crop dusting operation. You know when a plane flies over crops and sprays stuff on them? It was to combat the boil weevil. So they had that going for them.
In 1928, Delta Air Service was started. Passengers started to fly in 1929. They went from Dallas, Texas to Jackson, Mississippi. In 1930 it was extended From Ft. Worth, Texas to Atlanta, Georgia. They started to do the Mail Route 42.
They moved the headquarters from Monroe, Louisiana to Atlanta in 1941. Later on, in 1945, the name changed to Delta Air Lines.
In 1972, Northeast Airlines was acquired by Delta. In 1978, flights from Atlanta to London started, which help expand Delta to be who they are today. In 1981, they launched a frequent-flyer program.
Western Airlines was acquired by Delta in 1987 and started to fly trans-pacific service. PanAm was acquired by almost all of the PanAm trans-Altantic routes and the PanAm Shuttle. By doing this Delta became the leading airline across the Atlantic.
In 2008 it acquired NorthWest Airlines after it filed for Bankruptcy and avoided a hostile takeover from US Airways.
They have nine hubs across the United States, and they are:
- Los Angeles
- Minneapolis / St. Paul
- New York
- Salt Lake City
- Seattle / Tacoma
An interesting fact about Seattle/Tacoma airport is that it is the primary West Coast hub. I would have thought Los Angles would be the primary hub, thus being a big city. But, I was wrong.
Alliance and Codeshare
They are a member of the SkyTeam alliance. They also have a codeshare with the following:
|Aerolineas Argentinas||ITA Airways||Rex Airlines|
|Aeromexico||Kenya Airways||Seaborne Airlines|
|Air Europa||KLM||Sky Express|
|Air France||Korean Air||Transavia|
|China Airlines||Latam Brasil||Vietnam Airlines|
|Czech Airlines||LATAM Chile||Virgin Atlantic|
|Garuda Indonesia||LATAM Colombia||WestJet|
|Hawaiian Airlines||LATAM Peru|
Depends on the plane but they have the following areas
- Delta One
- This is on international flights and long-haul flights. This type of class supports a laydown seat. How nice. They are mostly found on the Boeing 757s. However, they are featured Airbus Airbus A350, Boeing 777, and the Boeing 767.
- Premium Select
- These are featured on the Airbus A350, Boeing 777, Airbus A330, and Boeing 767.
- First Class
- The seats are 18.5 to 20.75 inches and have between 37 and 40 inches. They get some free snacks than the coming up classes.
- Delta Comfort+
- They are a bit wider than the Main Cabin. They are 17 to 18.6 inches wide and 20 to 33 inches pitch. You get priority boarding free beer, wine, and spirits on certain flights, most of the time over 250 miles. If it is over 900 miles, premium snacks are provided for free.
- Main Cabin
- The seats range from 17 to 18.6 inches wide and 30 to 33 inches of pitch. If the flights are over 250, you have free drinks and snacks. However, if you want some Alcoholic items you will have to buy them.
- Basic Economy
- The same as the Main Cabin, but they have fewer flexibility options for a low price.
You can use these clubs if you are traveling in business class from JFK to LAX. You can pay for an annual Membership. If you are flying internationally in Delta One you get free access. Here is a list of the clubs
|Minneapolis/ St. Paul||1|
|Dallas /Ft Worth||1|
|Salt Lake City||2|
|New York — JFK||2|
|New York — LaGuardia||2|
|West Palm Beach||1|
That is Delta. They are one of the leading airlines in the world.